Ely Man Dons Drag For Children In Need
A FORMER Army staff sergeant from Ely caused a sensation when he turned up at Cambridge Regional College in full drag – but it was all for the best possible cause. Ely resident Billy Baxter, who is blind, donned pink false eyelashes and stilettos to transform himself in
A FORMER Army staff sergeant from Ely caused a sensation when he turned up at Cambridge Regional College in full drag – but it was all for the best possible cause.
Ely resident Billy Baxter, who is blind, donned pink false eyelashes and stilettos to transform himself in to Miss Belinda Bat to help raise money for Children in Need during a day of fundraising at the College.
Helping him in the transformation was media make-up student Penny Green, 17, who adorned the burly ex-soldier with gem-encrusted eyebrows and purple eye shadow.
Former Army staff sergeant Billy, 45, who is studying performing arts at the College, is a seasoned entertainer who plays in burlesque and does a stand-up routine - which he describes as scarier than anything he ever encountered in the army.
You may also want to watch:
A self-confessed adrenaline junkie, he lost his sight nine years ago after a rare virus destroyed the optic nerves in both eyes. But he refused to let it conquer him.
"I wanted to use my disability for good," said Billy, who lives in Ely. "I'm part of a blind theatre group and I do burlesque and stand-up, I'm an after-dinner speaker and raise money for charity. I love it."
- 1 Have a BREW-TIFUL day says the pub with a giant tea cup outside
- 2 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 3 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 4 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 5 Cash stolen and till broken in fourth break-in at Co-op store in four months
- 6 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 7 144 runners and 29 volunteers: First parkrun back is a huge success
- 8 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 9 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 10 Superb acting, singing and dancing at KD Theatre musical
It's not all he's done: he's driven a motorbike at over 160 miles an hour, starred on TV's "Top Gear", worked as a stuntman and run marathons - all since becoming blind!