Ely Leisure Centre given the green light after £1.5 million Sport England grant
- Credit: Archant
Building of the new East Cambridgeshire District Leisure Centre in Ely can begin after Sport England approved a £1.5 million lottery award.
The grant acts as the last piece of the funding puzzle which means the building of the sports centre can finally go ahead.
The £13.6 million centre was given the green light by East Cambridgeshire District Council in June, subject to the funding from Sport England.
The money will come from Sport England’s Strategic Facility Fund, which offers investment to local authorities looking to improve their sports facilities.
Councillor Richard Hobbs, chairman of commercial services at the council, said: “We are thrilled to receive support from Sport England, which as a result means that we can deliver a top class leisure facility for East Cambridgeshire.
You may also want to watch:
“This funding is pivotal for the progression of the centre and I look forward to the work commencing in due course.”
The Downham Road centre will replace the city-centre Paradise Centre Pools and will include an eight-lane 25 metre swimming pool, a 120-station health and fitness suite, two activity studios, a four court sports hall and a 3g artificial grass pitch.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
London-based contractors Pellikaan are to be brought in to oversee the build, before GLL Sport Foundation takes over once it is completed in early 2018.