£800 cheque for Macmillan thanks to Ely Inner Wheel members
- Credit: Archant
The Inner Wheel Club of Ely held their 69th charter dinner on Tuesday April 24.
Members were welcomed by Ely president Joy Hockey. The club’s traditional candle lighting ceremony then took place with candles lit for the past, present, future and international.
Greetings were brought from Inner Wheel District 8, from Ely Rotary club and Ely Rotary Hereward.
The club’s guest speaker was Lesley Gray of Macmillan Cancer Support, who told members about the work of Macmillan within the Ely area.
Ely Inner Wheel president Joy Hockey’s chosen charity for the year was Macmillan Cancer Support and she presented Lesley Gray with a cheque for more than £800 for the charity.
You may also want to watch:
Pauline Lancaster, of the Ely Inner Wheel Club, said: “Past president Jenny Axford was toastmaster for the evening and did an excellent job with everyone enjoying the evening.”
The Inner Wheel Club of Ely formed in 1948 and is linked to the Rotary Club of Ely.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress