Ely Inner Wheel donate to Maggie’s Centres charity
- Credit: Archant
Forty-one members and guests of the Ely Inner Wheel Club attended the group’s annual charity evening at The Anchor in Little Downham.
A cheque was presented to Maggie’s Centres, a charity which was started by a lady called Maggie who, when told she had cancer, felt there should be a place, away from the hospital, where she and her family should be able to talk to doctors and support groups.
The speaker for the evening Maggies fundraiser Andrea Chupacover, who said: “There are several centres in the country and one in Cambridge. Many people have found these places to be a lifeline.”
The vote of thanks was given by Ely Inner Wheel vice-president Susie Sallis and club president Julia Smith presented Andrea with a cheque.
The Ely Inner Wheel meets on the fourth Wednesday of the month.
For more information call Joy on 01353 663525.
- 1 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 2 Petition launched to save village pub
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 7 Murder trial jury told mother said she could not have children
- 8 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 9 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 10 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told