Ely Inner Wheel Club holds 66th charter dinner at Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
Ely Inner Wheel’s February meeting was the 66th charter dinner, at Ely Golf Club.
The dinner was well attended by members and guests including Yvonne Eaton, chairman of District 8 Inner Wheel; John Yates, president of Ely Hereward Rotary Club; The Rev Bernard Arnold, president of Ely Rotary Club; Councillor Lis Every, mayor of Ely; and their partners.
After the meal the more formal part of the evening began with the traditional candle lighting ceremony, lighting candles for the past, present, future and International service.
Greetings and toasts then proceeded with both Mr Yates Rev Arnold expressing their appreciation of the work and cooperation of Ely Inner Wheel, particularly in the community.
President Helen Shanassy then responded and gave a short resume of what Ely Inner Wheel had participated in and achieved in her year so far.
You may also want to watch:
Guest speaker was Angela Haylock, development worker for Voluntary and Community Action East Cambridgeshire. She spoke of the group’s work, providing support and advice and setting up groups in the community.
The vote of thanks was given by Ely Inner wheel vice-president Diana Goldstein.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 9 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 10 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
President Helen presented Mrs Haylock with an interim cheque of £600 to help with funding.
The evening concluded with President Helen’s closing remarks and thanks to members for their continuing support.
For more information about Ely Inner Wheel Club, call 01353 667169 or visit the next meeting on March 25, 7.30pm, at the Old Dispensary.