Ely Inner Wheel celebrates its 67th annual charter dinner and performs the traditional candle lighting ceremony
- Credit: Archant
After dinner the traditional Inner Wheel candle lighting ceremony took place, lighting candles for the past, present, future and international service.
This was followed by toasts and greetings from the chairman of Inner Wheel District 8 Catherine Forsdike, president of Rotary club of Ely Hereward Dr Janet Porter and president of the Rotary Club of Ely, John Dennick.
Our very able master of ceremonies, past president Jenny Axford introduced our guest speaker Richard Morley of CamSAR (Cambridge Search and Rescue).
Mr Morley gave a talk and slide presentation on the work of CamSAR which is a lowland rescue unit covering Cambridge and assisting other teams in a wider area.
The CamSAR specialist team are called upon by the police to search for vulnerable missing people, a child, and elderly suffering from dementia or even someone considering suicide.
Emergency response is available 24/7 with the team being made up of dedicated fully trained volunteers relying on grants, donations or team member’s own pockets to provide this service.
Mr Morley gave us numerous examples of call outs, responses needed and outcomes.
- 1 Two food businesses closed after cockroach infestations found
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Petition launched to save village pub
- 5 Pastor in freedom of speech and job fight over Pride tweet
- 6 Pub company comes out fighting to keep controversial cuppa sign
- 7 College pupils bring School of Rock to life on stage
- 8 Father accused of baby daughter's murder gave her squash, court told
- 9 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 10 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
Vice president Mary Rone gave the vote of thanks and president Diana Goldstein presented Mr Morley with an interim cheque of £900 for CamSAR, which was her chosen charity for the year.
Our next club meeting will be on Wednesday March 23 at 7pm at the Old Dispensary in Ely. If you would like to come along or need any further information please telephone 01353 615074