Ely Inner Wheel celebrates its 67th annual charter dinner and performs the traditional candle lighting ceremony
- Credit: Archant
After dinner the traditional Inner Wheel candle lighting ceremony took place, lighting candles for the past, present, future and international service.
This was followed by toasts and greetings from the chairman of Inner Wheel District 8 Catherine Forsdike, president of Rotary club of Ely Hereward Dr Janet Porter and president of the Rotary Club of Ely, John Dennick.
Our very able master of ceremonies, past president Jenny Axford introduced our guest speaker Richard Morley of CamSAR (Cambridge Search and Rescue).
Mr Morley gave a talk and slide presentation on the work of CamSAR which is a lowland rescue unit covering Cambridge and assisting other teams in a wider area.
The CamSAR specialist team are called upon by the police to search for vulnerable missing people, a child, and elderly suffering from dementia or even someone considering suicide.
You may also want to watch:
Emergency response is available 24/7 with the team being made up of dedicated fully trained volunteers relying on grants, donations or team member’s own pockets to provide this service.
Mr Morley gave us numerous examples of call outs, responses needed and outcomes.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 3 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 6 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 7 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
- 10 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
Vice president Mary Rone gave the vote of thanks and president Diana Goldstein presented Mr Morley with an interim cheque of £900 for CamSAR, which was her chosen charity for the year.
Our next club meeting will be on Wednesday March 23 at 7pm at the Old Dispensary in Ely. If you would like to come along or need any further information please telephone 01353 615074