It may have been coincidence but on the hottest day of the year a new ice cream parlour opens in Ely - to considerable acclaim
- Credit: Archant
It may have been coincidence but on the hottest day of the year Ely welcomed its newest city centre shop selling ice creams.
Hadisgelato in Lynn Road and opposite the Lamb Hotel offers a taste of real Italian gelato - almost identical to ice cream but made with a higher proportion of whole milk to cream.
Barry Lonsdale of Cloisters Antiques was invited to cut the ribbon at the opening ceremony and among early visitors were Lucy Frazer MP and the Mayor of Ely, Cllr Mike Rouse.
On their Facebook page owner Hadi said they were delighted to be opening in the city and thanked many local businesses and organisations for their support.
"I can't mention all of them but we are proud to offer a different adventure, they posted. " I won't say a lot about our ice cream I will leave for the people to judge upon it."
Hadi is no stranger to the city - he is also a successful barber in Ely.
He promises his new store will be "an authentic Italian gelato shop in Ely. All the gelatos will be made fresh in the premises everyday."
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 3 Girl, 7, left heartbroken after beloved rabbits are stolen
- 4 Hand clinic offering additional type of treatment for arthritis sufferers
- 5 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 7 Princess Anne visits Wisbech's new Citizens Advice Bureau on Cambs trip
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
The shop also serves crepes, waffles, smoothies, sundaes and hot and cold drinks.