Ely Horticultural Society’s potato growing competition is a hit
- Credit: Archant
The winners of Ely Horticultural Society’s potato growing competition have been announced.
After supplying children and adults at St Mary’s C of E Junior School with potatoes, compost and bags in Easter, the biggest growers were judged on Monday.
This year’s winners were Year 3 with a weight of 590 grams. The adult winners were the office staff with 612grams.
Peter Holden, of the society, said: “We wanted to get children involved with gardening, but in the end the adults wanted to take part too, so there was an office and staff bag as well.
“We went to the school on Monday and weighed them but kept it secret. Then we returned today (Friday) with the Mayor of Ely Councillor Richard Hobbs to present the winners of each year group with a certificate.
You may also want to watch:
“St Mary’s were very enthusiastic but we want to trial it out with other schools as well.”
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut