Ely is holding out for a hero as market stall draws in the crowds despite cold weather
- Credit: Archant
Crowds gathered as the Ely Heroes team held a market stall in the city centre to promote awareness of the event.
It comes as nominations continue to come in steady, as people nominate special individuals for their acts of kindness, bravery and everyday hardwork.
The market stall was held in Ely on Saturday, with many popping by to say hello or secretly nominate a loved one.
A glitzy bash will be held at The Maltings this June, when the winners will be announced.
Naomi Sherwood, business development manager at Metro Rod, said: “Team Ely Heroes ran a market stall on Saturday to promote local awareness of the event. It was a great success; we enjoyed talking to lots of people about how to nominate.
You may also want to watch:
“We let everyone know about the exciting award ceremony later in the year to crown the category winners, handed out lots of leaflets and had a lot of fun despite the weather.
“Thank you to everyone who dropped by to show their support, the offers of coffee and to the man who gave us chips.”
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 9 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 10 Man found dead in March
Organised by drain care and repair specialists Metro Rod Cambridge - in partnership with The Ely Standard - it is the second year running that gongs will be given out to those who go the extra mile.
There are 10 categories in which individuals can nominate their special ‘hero’ who lives or works in Ely and the surrounding villages, within a 10-mile radius, ranging from Colleague of the Year to Caring Companion.
In the spotlight this week is Sister Joanne Allen, who has been nominated as Most Amazing Professional.
Her entry states: “She gazes on every patient with a radiant and reassuring smile, greeting the grumpiest and treating the most sick people of Littleport with a “good morning my lovely”.
There are many local businesses who support the initiative too, including the Business Category Sponsors Grovemere Property, Elyi Magazine, Life Fitness, Thorlabs, Crown Garage Honda, Ely Gin Ltd, Xpert Resourcing and Kings School.
To nominate visit www.elyheroawards.org.uk
Or the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/elyheroesOr you can also nominate via our newspaper coupon.