Sporting hero Brian Leonard, 80, receives Ely Hero Award for being a part of Ely Cricket Club since 1955
- Credit: Archant
An 80-year-old from Ely who has been a part of the local cricket club for 65 years has received his sporting hero award.
Brian Leonard, who was unable to attend this year’s Ely Hero Awards ceremony, was presented with certificate and trophy by the category sponsors, Life Fitness, at the cricket ground in Ely.
Brian has been part of the City of Ely Cricket Club since 1955.
For 30 years, Brian has been fixtures secretary, general club president from 1992, chairman, player and groundsman.
He has also captained the 1st XI - only recently standing down as a registered playing member after his 80th birthday.
You may also want to watch:
Brian remains the club president and groundsman, preparing the pitches each week at the Paradise Sports Ground. With 25,000 runs under his belt, Brian was awarded for the support he has given to the club over the years.
Brian said he has kept fit and healthy because of his engagement in sport over his lifetime.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
- 10 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
Asked what community project he would like to see, Brian said “encouraging youngsters to learn and enjoy cricket.” His own grandchildren both play in their local cricket clubs and Brian loves to watch them play and will often get involved with the game.
The Ely Hero Awards judging panel said: “Brian has eaten, breathed and slept his chosen sport and has taken on the responsibility of office for so many years supporting our local talent with such commitment. Congratulations Brian.”
This year’s Ely Hero Awards were organised by Metro Rod Cambridge and sponsored by the Ely Standard newspaper.
Visit www.elyheroawards.org.uk or www.metrorod.co.uk for more information.