Ely Hereward Rotary Club members take American graduate under their wing
- Credit: Archant
The Ely Hereward Rotary Club has welcomed a university graduate from the USA to Ely to give them help and advice about living abroad.
This year’s rotary global scholar is Ashley Ferguson from Charlottesville, who is a graduate of the University of Virginia.
Ashley is studying at Churchill College, Cambridge, for a masters’ degree in medical science, which she is combining with continuing her Cancer Research project work at Addenbrooke’s Hospital.
Ashley’s introduction to Ely came when she was invited to help the Hereward Rotary Club marshal the annual Ely Potato Race, which raises funds for local charities and good causes.
The club has hosted a rotary global scholar from overseas for a number of years. They invite them to local events, take them to visit local places of interest and other local rotary clubs.
You may also want to watch:
The club provides a point of contact for help and advice for someone living abroad for the first time.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station