Ely Hereward rotarians welcome new president
- Credit: Archant
THE handover ceremony for the new president of Ely Hereward Rotary Club took place this week, with Christine Gascoigne taking over from the outgoing Gary Gardner.
Christine spent most of her working life in the University of St Andrews, first as keeper of rare books in the university library, then head of special collections and for the last two years, acting librarian.
After retiring, she and her husband moved to Ely, where she enjoys the U3A, singing in Ely Cathedral Octagon Singers, fundraising, and volunteering in the cathedral archive.
The main focus for Christine’s fundraising year will be to try to support some of the small local groups and good causes, many of whom are finding life difficult due to local government funding cuts.
Despite the difficult economic climate, in Gary’s year the club raised more than £6,000 for charities and good causes.
You may also want to watch:
Beneficiaries included The Alzheimer’s Society, ADeC, The Teenage Cancer Trust at Addenbrooke’s, the Ely College Inclusion Group, the town crier competition, the Viva Arts Group, the British Legion, and End Polio Now.
For more information about Ely Hereward Rotary Club please visit www.rotaryclubely-hereward.org or contact Frank Connolly at email@example.com, or on 01366 386973.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor