COLUMN: The Ely Grumpster ‘awards’
- Credit: Archant
• For those of you who didn’t tune in to the Grumpster “Ely awards of the year” on BBC1 last Saturday, well shame on you.
What a night! I had a great evening chewing the fat with soap opera Z listers, Love Island rejects, exiled South American dictators and Nigel Farage.
• Doris had the time of her life with her best friend Edna from Littleport.
I decided to wear a kilt as a tribute to my newly discovered Caledonian cousins. Against my better judgement, I wore it “sans sous-vetements”.
Not an issue until I tried to enter a taxi at midnight after a snifter or two.
Edna had her phone camera at the ready. Daren’t risk looking at Facebook!
Anyway, the awards. Ely-focused as you might expect. Here they are.
- 1 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
- 2 Preschool 'special in people's hearts' to close after more than 30 years
- 3 BMX star, 11, hopes world debut can lead to Olympics dream
- 4 Daughter pays tribute to model engineer who 'tried his hand at anything'
- 5 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 6 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 7 ‘Inspirational’ teacher, Esmeralda, honoured in national teaching awards
- 8 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 9 This Grade II listed Georgian home in Ely could be yours for £575,000
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: The Queen's visits to Cambridgeshire in pictures
• Church (1) – tallest Priest in Ely – Bishop Stephen.
That man is so big that jumbo jet pilots who are stupid enough to use Ely Cathedral as a landmark have to take evasive action when he is out for a walk.
It is rumoured he lives in the Cathedral because there is no house in Cambridgeshire with a roof high enough to accommodate him.
Church (2) – most amazing Priest in Ely – you read this column and I won’t embarrass you by naming you. Just keep doing what you do, but please support a proper football team (there is nothing great about jellied eels).
• Best retail (1) – Bar and pubs – RBK – you make every visit a pleasure. Best retail (2) – shops and banks – a 3 way tie between NatWest, Boots and Waitrose. Best retail (3) – curry house – Le Spice. Amin Haque, purveyor of fine curry, philosopher, historian, politician and friend.
• Public servants of the year – all those who pushed through the Ely bypass in the face of opposition from English Heritage fruitcakes and budget pressures. From the autumn, Ely residents will no longer have to suffer an endless stream of juggernauts clogging up the A142, Angel Drove and Station Approach. Good riddance to the lot of them.
• To close, a gentle reminder that there are always opportunities to improve and possibly win a Grumpster award in 2019. Police – do something about cars on double yellows in Victoria Street. Tesco – deal with the graffiti and litter that blights the whole complex.
And finally – Doris. What the hell have you done with my “Frankie says relax” tee-shirt?