Ely group to give arts a boost in the Fens
- Credit: Archant
Arts development group ADeC has been handed thousands of pounds in funding to develop a three-year art project in the Fens.
The scheme, called Market Place, will see Ely-based ADeC, encouraging people to take part in arts activities.
The project will run across seven market towns in Fenland and Forest Heath, including Wisbech, Whittlesey, Chatteris, March, Mildenhall, Brandon and Newmarket.
The money is part of an Arts Development East Cambridge award for Fenland of £964,218 to develop art projects.
Among activities will be free large scale public events as well as a regular programme of smaller scale shows.
These events will build upon existing activities and celebrations with libraries, museums, schools and market places all being used to keep a strong link with local heritage and people.
Over the next few months, ADeC will work with a host of organisations to develop the detailed plan, with activities starting in 2015.
- 1 'He saved my life' - Karolina thanks optician after spotting unknown brain tumour
- 2 Two suffer serious injuries after A10 crash
- 3 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 4 Motorcyclist in serious condition after A142 tractor crash
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 7 Family banned from turning garage into dining room
- 8 Man subjected to 'unprovoked attack' at village pavilion
- 9 Cricket club's bid to be 'loud and proud' thanks to new ground
- 10 Surgery’s renovation project takes next step forward
Nathan Jones, from ADeC, said: “This project has the local community at its core. We see it as working not so much with seven towns but with seven communities.
“The activities will be selected and driven by local people who will be given extensive support and training via a team of creative mentors and producers.
“This will increase the potential for leaving a lasting arts legacy in each location and establish long lasting links between organisation.”
In each town ADeC will establish groups drawn from across the community who will receive extensive training and support to develop and manage their own unique arts programmes.