Ely group to give arts a boost in the Fens
- Credit: Archant
Arts development group ADeC has been handed thousands of pounds in funding to develop a three-year art project in the Fens.
The scheme, called Market Place, will see Ely-based ADeC, encouraging people to take part in arts activities.
The project will run across seven market towns in Fenland and Forest Heath, including Wisbech, Whittlesey, Chatteris, March, Mildenhall, Brandon and Newmarket.
The money is part of an Arts Development East Cambridge award for Fenland of £964,218 to develop art projects.
Among activities will be free large scale public events as well as a regular programme of smaller scale shows.
You may also want to watch:
These events will build upon existing activities and celebrations with libraries, museums, schools and market places all being used to keep a strong link with local heritage and people.
Over the next few months, ADeC will work with a host of organisations to develop the detailed plan, with activities starting in 2015.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
Nathan Jones, from ADeC, said: “This project has the local community at its core. We see it as working not so much with seven towns but with seven communities.
“The activities will be selected and driven by local people who will be given extensive support and training via a team of creative mentors and producers.
“This will increase the potential for leaving a lasting arts legacy in each location and establish long lasting links between organisation.”
In each town ADeC will establish groups drawn from across the community who will receive extensive training and support to develop and manage their own unique arts programmes.