Ely Group Hand In Climate Change Petition At Number 10
MP Jim Paice supported a group of Ely residents to present a petition at 10 Downing Street ahead of the Copenhagen Climate Change talks. The petition calls on the Prime Minster and the Government to: Use the Climate Change Act to achieve carbon reductions
MP Jim Paice supported a group of Ely residents to present a petition at 10 Downing Street ahead of the Copenhagen Climate Change talks.
The petition calls on the Prime Minster and the Government to:
- Use the Climate Change Act to achieve carbon reductions here in the UK
- Use their influence to achieve an effective outcome at the UN Climate Change Conference which takes place later this month.
It is all part of Ely Social Responsibility Forum's Environment Exhibitio, which has been taking place at Ely Cathedral. The event is aimed at increasing public awareness of environmental threats to the planet and encouraging people to do what they can to help.
Ben Jupp, chairman of the Forum and one of the event organisers said: "If, as is very likely, the threat to our life on the planet is not the figment of anyone's fertile imagination, our response should be all embracing. The petition makes our views known, nationally and internationally."
- 1 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 2 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 3 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 4 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 5 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 6 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 7 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 8 Frustration for Ely City is United's gain as unbeaten home run ends
- 9 'Farmgate' report leaks reveal concerns over Manor Farm tenancy
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
Mr Paice added: "I consider the economic, national security and environmental consequences of dangerous climate change to be too serious to ignore and therefore believe it vital that an effective global deal is agreed to at Copenhagen. I am glad that Ely Social Responsibility Forum is doing what they can to encourage the Government to show real leadership on this issue and was delighted to join them in making their petition at Downing Street.