Ely Group Hand In Climate Change Petition At Number 10
MP Jim Paice supported a group of Ely residents to present a petition at 10 Downing Street ahead of the Copenhagen Climate Change talks. The petition calls on the Prime Minster and the Government to: Use the Climate Change Act to achieve carbon reductions
MP Jim Paice supported a group of Ely residents to present a petition at 10 Downing Street ahead of the Copenhagen Climate Change talks.
The petition calls on the Prime Minster and the Government to:
- Use the Climate Change Act to achieve carbon reductions here in the UK
- Use their influence to achieve an effective outcome at the UN Climate Change Conference which takes place later this month.
You may also want to watch:
It is all part of Ely Social Responsibility Forum's Environment Exhibitio, which has been taking place at Ely Cathedral. The event is aimed at increasing public awareness of environmental threats to the planet and encouraging people to do what they can to help.
Ben Jupp, chairman of the Forum and one of the event organisers said: "If, as is very likely, the threat to our life on the planet is not the figment of anyone's fertile imagination, our response should be all embracing. The petition makes our views known, nationally and internationally."
- 1 Police officer sacked for racially abusing colleague at Christmas party
- 2 Large illegal knife and 45 cannabis plants found in police raid
- 3 Fears for historic vicarage council fought to save
- 4 Cambridgeshire police officer dismissed after conduct hearing
- 5 College and sixth form's 'gold' rating for 'outstanding' mental health provision
- 6 Photo memories of the late Prince Philip projected onto house
- 7 Three arrests after suspected brothel discovered
- 8 City’s first Asian grocery store coming to market place
- 9 Jail for man caught carrying meat cleaver in public after missing tools argument
- 10 Boxer's 163-miles-in-a-month charity run raises £1,600
Mr Paice added: "I consider the economic, national security and environmental consequences of dangerous climate change to be too serious to ignore and therefore believe it vital that an effective global deal is agreed to at Copenhagen. I am glad that Ely Social Responsibility Forum is doing what they can to encourage the Government to show real leadership on this issue and was delighted to join them in making their petition at Downing Street.