Ely Group Hand In Climate Change Petition At Number 10
MP Jim Paice supported a group of Ely residents to present a petition at 10 Downing Street ahead of the Copenhagen Climate Change talks. The petition calls on the Prime Minster and the Government to: Use the Climate Change Act to achieve carbon reductions
MP Jim Paice supported a group of Ely residents to present a petition at 10 Downing Street ahead of the Copenhagen Climate Change talks.
The petition calls on the Prime Minster and the Government to:
- Use the Climate Change Act to achieve carbon reductions here in the UK
- Use their influence to achieve an effective outcome at the UN Climate Change Conference which takes place later this month.
You may also want to watch:
It is all part of Ely Social Responsibility Forum's Environment Exhibitio, which has been taking place at Ely Cathedral. The event is aimed at increasing public awareness of environmental threats to the planet and encouraging people to do what they can to help.
Ben Jupp, chairman of the Forum and one of the event organisers said: "If, as is very likely, the threat to our life on the planet is not the figment of anyone's fertile imagination, our response should be all embracing. The petition makes our views known, nationally and internationally."
- 1 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 4 Policing stepped up to tackle criminal damage and anti-social behaviour
- 5 Councillor Bill, 75, says Covid-19 jab was 'perfect'
- 6 Man named following fatal collision
- 7 Son's touching tribute: 'My father fought with passion for that in which he believed'
- 8 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 9 Green light for off-licence despite objections
- 10 Skipper eyes plans to go one better for village cricketers
Mr Paice added: "I consider the economic, national security and environmental consequences of dangerous climate change to be too serious to ignore and therefore believe it vital that an effective global deal is agreed to at Copenhagen. I am glad that Ely Social Responsibility Forum is doing what they can to encourage the Government to show real leadership on this issue and was delighted to join them in making their petition at Downing Street.