Perfect end for captain Malvin after regional final glory
- Credit: Ely City Golf Club
A golf player who has been with the same club for over 25 years ended his 19-month spell as captain by reaching a national final.
Malvin Rogerson of Ely City Golf Club reached the final of the SkyCaddie PGA Pro-Captain Challenge tournament after topping the East regional qualifier.
Rogerson, alongside club professional Andrew George, won on countback after an impressive last nine holes to edge John Hatfield and James Webber of Three Rivers Golf & Country Club into second.
“I wasn’t anywhere near anything on the front nine, but I hit a bit of a purple patch with Andrew after that,” Rogerson said.
Rogerson, who scored 44 points with George at the Royal Norwich Golf Club, has been with Ely since 1995 and captain since the Covid-19 pandemic began in March last year.
You may also want to watch:
“My captaincy started a month before the lockdown, and the new captain comes in on October 2, so this is a good way to end for me,” he added.
Rogerson will represent Ely City Golf Club in the grand final in Italy next April.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty