Ely gearing up for annual fireworks spectacular
- Credit: Archant
Organisers are banking on a big turn-out for this year’s Ely fireworks spectacular set to take place on November 9 in Cherry Hill Park.
All profits from the city’s biggest annual fundraising event, organised by the Ely XT group with the help of some 100 volunteers, will be ploughed back into charities and community organisations through donations.
In the last five years, the fireworks event has raised more than £50,000 for good causes in and around the Ely area, paying out £15,000 in the past 12 months thanks to money raised through the fireworks display.
Donations have been made to a host of charitable organisations including Prostate Cancer Research, Fenprobe, Ely Youth Initiative, Ely Aquarius Club, Ely Soham Dial a Ride and Magas.
The award-winning display team, Battle Fireworks, will once again be lighting up the skies over the cathedral from 5.30pm at the display that will also feature a fun fair, side stalls and family attractions.
Martin Strudwick, of Ely XT, said: “The Ely display has a reputation for being one of the best in the region and we have found that we raise more money by avoiding a clash of dates on November 5.
“We hope to see the people out in force to maximise the money we can reinvest in the local community.”
- 1 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 New shop already 'exceeded expectations' after strong opening day
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- 6 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall
- 7 Nuisance caller flouted court order day after prison release
- 8 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
- 9 Best Indian in CAMBRIDGESHIRE even though award says best in NORFOLK
- 10 Everything you need to know about Ely Cathedral's Christmas Gift & Food Fair 2021
Organisers have asked for people to buy their tickets in advance to cut down on congestion at the park gates that will open from 5.30pm with the bonfire being set alight at 6.15pm and fireworks let off from 6.45pm promptly.
Advance tickets cost £3 for adults, and £1.50 for children or £8 for a family of four are now on sale from Ely Tourist Information Centre at Cromwell House, Ely; Specsavers, Ely; David Baldock Dental Surgery, Broad Street and Soham Books. Tickets will also be on sale at a special stall on Ely’s Market Place on Saturdays November 2 and 9.