Ely fund-raising group almost doubles first year target
- Credit: Archant
A group of volunteers from Ely who support East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH) have celebrated their first anniversary and have almost doubled their original fundraising target.
The Ely Friends Group, which has 11 members who live in Ely and the surrounding villages, have been very proactive in raising awareness of EACH as well as raising money.
The committee originally set themselves a fundraising target of £5,000 for their maiden year and were delighted to smash this to raise £9,806.54 for the cause.
They achieved this sum by attending many events including Ely Aquafest, Haddenham Steam Rally, Party on The Hill and selling Christmas cakes at the Ely Cathedral Gift and Food Fair.
The group also organised a craft fair and coffee morning at the City of Ely Bowls Club and placed collection tins across the area.
You may also want to watch:
The group chairman, Albert Ware, said: “It’s been a great pleasure leading the Ely Friends Group this year and everyone is thrilled with the support we’ve received from the local community.
“The group were mainly strangers when we formed and now are firm friends. Everyone has brought their own experience and skills to the group and have all worked really well together..”
- 1 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 2 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of assault
- 4 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 5 Opposition sign historic power sharing agreement to seize control of county council
- 6 In 2,300 words rainbow alliance set out manifesto for change at Cambridgeshire County Council
- 7 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 8 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like
- 9 Woman transforms lockdown 'art retreat' into her own business
- 10 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
Ely Friends meet every six weeks at The King’s Arms in Ely- if you’d like to learn more about their plans for 2014 and perhaps help out at some of their events, please contact EACH Cambridgeshire fundraiser Karen Newton on 01223 205192.