Jill’s ‘Wizard of Oz’ moment at Ely folk festival - and here’s the flying tent photo she’s talking about
- Credit: Archant
A freak ‘mini whirlwind’ launched this tent into the sky at Ely Folk Festival over the weekend.
Jill Ireland – who witnessed the incident – described it as a “Wizard of Oz moment” and quickly got her husband Steve to take a picture.
She said: “I was just sitting there. I started to notice leaves and the grass blowing. I looked up and there was a tent. It slowly drifted down from the sky.”
It was an uplifting finale to what had been an uplifting weekend with organisers enthused by the weather, the variety and quality of the acts and with the large turnout.
“A sudden whirlwind, leafs, grass and dust going up and in the centre - a small tent. I was too late to get the beginning but here it is just about beginning its descent.”
A festival spokesman said: “Wow what a weekend - bookended perfectly by our band competition winner Melody Causton and the fabulous Kathryn Tickell and The Lightening.”
The spokesman said: “The sun shone down on an amazing collection of musicians, entertainers and artists who played their hearts out.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 4 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 5 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 6 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 7 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
- 8 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 9 Shoplifter, 33, who assaulted woman is on the run
- 10 ‘It’s been like this for 11 months’ - woman’s assisted refuse collection failure
“Thank you to our guests of all ages, all the lighting and sound technical support, photographers, MCs, and to our wonderful army of volunteer stewards who made the festival work.”