Jill’s ‘Wizard of Oz’ moment at Ely folk festival - and here’s the flying tent photo she’s talking about
- Credit: Archant
A freak ‘mini whirlwind’ launched this tent into the sky at Ely Folk Festival over the weekend.
Jill Ireland – who witnessed the incident – described it as a “Wizard of Oz moment” and quickly got her husband Steve to take a picture.
She said: “I was just sitting there. I started to notice leaves and the grass blowing. I looked up and there was a tent. It slowly drifted down from the sky.”
It was an uplifting finale to what had been an uplifting weekend with organisers enthused by the weather, the variety and quality of the acts and with the large turnout.
“A sudden whirlwind, leafs, grass and dust going up and in the centre - a small tent. I was too late to get the beginning but here it is just about beginning its descent.”
You may also want to watch:
A festival spokesman said: “Wow what a weekend - bookended perfectly by our band competition winner Melody Causton and the fabulous Kathryn Tickell and The Lightening.”
The spokesman said: “The sun shone down on an amazing collection of musicians, entertainers and artists who played their hearts out.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
“Thank you to our guests of all ages, all the lighting and sound technical support, photographers, MCs, and to our wonderful army of volunteer stewards who made the festival work.”