Ely Foodbank set to extend its reach to Cottenham
- Credit: Archant
The Ely Foodbank Partnership has announced a new outlet is to open in Cottenham.
A public meeting is taking place next Thursday, (April 23), at 7.30pm, at the Baptist Church, in High Street.
Alan Williams, from the Ely Foodbank Partnership, said: “It is almost three years since we had the idea of trying to set up a foodbank partnership to serve people within a 15 mile radius of Ely.
“We’re trying to ensure that anyone living within reasonable reach of our local towns and villages who is in food crisis has equal access to help from one of our distribution centres.”
Mr Williams said that the partnership was working with Churches Together in Cottenham to get the scheme off the ground, and said donations of food were still welcome.
You may also want to watch:
The partnership also has foodbanks in Soham, Sutton and Ely in East Cambridgeshire as well as Chatteris and March in Fenland.
The Foodbank in Cottenham will open on Wednesday, April 29, from 1.30-3pm, preceded at midday by a launch event. It will be open every Wednesday thereafter, at the same times.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 3 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 8 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 New-look Crusaders show fighting spirit to earn comeback triumph
Mr Williams added: “Having developed this circle of foodbanks, providing supplies of crisis food, it means that people who have an Ely Foodbank Partnership voucher will be able to collect food from any of the six foodbanks in our local area.”