Ely Foodbank has handed out 25,000 meals in just a year
- Credit: Archant
Ely Foodbank celebrated the first anniversary of its opening this week.
Since the facility was set up, more than 19 tonnes of food has been given out to serve more than 2,400 people in the Ely area - equating to about 25,000 meals.
Cathy Wright, coordinator of the foodbank, said: “We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of local shoppers, parents and children in giving at harvest time.
“Almost eight tonnes of food has been given through harvest festivals in schools, churches and local businesses, as well as at the standing collection points in our local supermarkets.”
The foodbank, led by Churches Together in Ely, opened last November and has rapidly expanded, with outlets now both in Soham and Littleport and help and support provided to operations in March and Chatteris.
Alan Williams, development coordinator, said: “We’re trying to ensure that anyone living within reasonable reach of our local towns and villages who is in food crisis has equal access to help from Ely Foodbank.
“We have a non-judgemental approach, where people are listened to and helped to engage with the appropriate local agencies.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 5 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 6 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
Ely Foodbank distribution centres are open as follows:
Monday: Littleport 10-11am at the Salvation Army, in City Road.
Tuesday: Ely 1-2.30pm at The Lighthouse Centre, in Lynn Road.
Thursday: Soham 10-11am at the Salvation Army, in Bushel Lane.
Friday: Littleport 10-11am at the Salvation Army, in City Road.
Ely 1-2.30pm at The Forum, in Barton Road.
INFO: Contact www.elyfoodbank.org.uk, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01353 662396.