Ely Foodbank has handed out 25,000 meals in just a year
- Credit: Archant
Ely Foodbank celebrated the first anniversary of its opening this week.
Since the facility was set up, more than 19 tonnes of food has been given out to serve more than 2,400 people in the Ely area - equating to about 25,000 meals.
Cathy Wright, coordinator of the foodbank, said: “We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of local shoppers, parents and children in giving at harvest time.
“Almost eight tonnes of food has been given through harvest festivals in schools, churches and local businesses, as well as at the standing collection points in our local supermarkets.”
The foodbank, led by Churches Together in Ely, opened last November and has rapidly expanded, with outlets now both in Soham and Littleport and help and support provided to operations in March and Chatteris.
Alan Williams, development coordinator, said: “We’re trying to ensure that anyone living within reasonable reach of our local towns and villages who is in food crisis has equal access to help from Ely Foodbank.
“We have a non-judgemental approach, where people are listened to and helped to engage with the appropriate local agencies.”
- 1 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 2 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 3 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 4 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 5 OPINION: Soham Station fiasco about to come to a conclusion, or is it?
- 6 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 7 Fens business park goes to auction - for up to £700,000
- 8 New cycling and walking routes strategy approved by council
- 9 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 10 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
Ely Foodbank distribution centres are open as follows:
Monday: Littleport 10-11am at the Salvation Army, in City Road.
Tuesday: Ely 1-2.30pm at The Lighthouse Centre, in Lynn Road.
Thursday: Soham 10-11am at the Salvation Army, in Bushel Lane.
Friday: Littleport 10-11am at the Salvation Army, in City Road.
Ely 1-2.30pm at The Forum, in Barton Road.
INFO: Contact www.elyfoodbank.org.uk, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01353 662396.