Ely Foodbank has handed out 25,000 meals in just a year
- Credit: Archant
Ely Foodbank celebrated the first anniversary of its opening this week.
Since the facility was set up, more than 19 tonnes of food has been given out to serve more than 2,400 people in the Ely area - equating to about 25,000 meals.
Cathy Wright, coordinator of the foodbank, said: “We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of local shoppers, parents and children in giving at harvest time.
“Almost eight tonnes of food has been given through harvest festivals in schools, churches and local businesses, as well as at the standing collection points in our local supermarkets.”
The foodbank, led by Churches Together in Ely, opened last November and has rapidly expanded, with outlets now both in Soham and Littleport and help and support provided to operations in March and Chatteris.
You may also want to watch:
Alan Williams, development coordinator, said: “We’re trying to ensure that anyone living within reasonable reach of our local towns and villages who is in food crisis has equal access to help from Ely Foodbank.
“We have a non-judgemental approach, where people are listened to and helped to engage with the appropriate local agencies.”
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 6 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 7 Prosecuted drone pilot breached Civil Aviation Authority regulations
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
Ely Foodbank distribution centres are open as follows:
Monday: Littleport 10-11am at the Salvation Army, in City Road.
Tuesday: Ely 1-2.30pm at The Lighthouse Centre, in Lynn Road.
Thursday: Soham 10-11am at the Salvation Army, in Bushel Lane.
Friday: Littleport 10-11am at the Salvation Army, in City Road.
Ely 1-2.30pm at The Forum, in Barton Road.
INFO: Contact www.elyfoodbank.org.uk, e-mail email@example.com or call 01353 662396.