Ely folk festivalgets a new image for 2006!
THE Ely Folk Festival has re-launched itself this year with a new name, new image and a website for its 21st birthday. The Line-up for July s event, from Friday 7 to Friday 9, has recently been announced, and includes big draw headliners the Oysterband, a
THE Ely Folk Festival has re-launched itself this year with a new name, new image and a website for its 21st birthday.
The Line-up for July's event, from Friday 7 to Friday 9, has recently been announced, and includes big draw headliners the Oysterband, as well as an eclectic mix of the traditional and the contemporary.
John Adams, chair of the festival committee, said: "Many people's image of the festival is that it consists of Morris men dancing in the city centre, but we want to change that perception."
He said that that the 2006 site, at the Ely Outdoor Centre, will offer a rich and varied line-up of blues, folk-rock, acoustic sets, African music and traditional music, spread across three marquees.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be a beer tent, dance and music workshops, trade and food stalls and children's entertainment.
"We are concentrating on promoting the diverse range of music on site, although you'll still be able to enjoy the traditional Morris procession through town on Saturday lunchtime."
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
He said that Sunday will see the festival take on an African flavour, with African storytelling for children and Zambula, a highly-charged 7-piece African band hailing from The Congo, Uganda and Cornwall.
The band will lead a dance workshop in the afternoon and headline the main concert on Saturday night.
Other performers will include Bushbury Mountain Daredevils, Eric Bogle, Johnny Dickinson, Zambula, No ID, John Dipper Band, Brooks Williams, Hedgepig and Lightning Jack.
INFO: Tickets for the 21st Ely Folk Festival are available from 01353 669985, or at the website: www.elyfolk.co.uk.
Season tickets are priced £45 if purchased before June 1, and £52 after that date. Day and evening tickets are available from £18-27. Concessions are available.