Make sure you register to have fun while you run with Santas, elves and fairies in the Ely Festive 5K
- Credit: Archant
Festive fun-run lovers are being advised to book their places for the popular fancy dress run through the city that raises funds for Arthur Rank Hospice.
The Ely Festive 5k is on Sunday November 25 and this year’s event – sponsored by Ward Gethin Archer and Price Bailey LLP - starts at the earlier time of 9am with a new start and finish line venue, in the grounds of Ely Cathedral.
The change of location means the charity can offer 150 more places for the popular event, taking the total number of fun runners to 800.
However, the event team are warning those wishing to take part to sign up sooner rather than later, to avoid disappointment.
Tasha Hills, senior events officer, said: “We love that our supporters are already so enthusiastic about Ely Festive 5K and we can’t wait to see what outfits will be on display this year.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s astounding how the run grows in popularity each year, as previous participants encourage their family and friends to take part too.”
More than 400 places have already been allocated, despite online registrations only opening a couple of weeks ago.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
There could be a pleasant surprise for families registering before October 7 - Busy Bee Recruitment are funding 50 children’s places.
Those who have signed up before this date, will be put in a draw to have the fees they paid for children’s places (up to age 16) refunded.
Ely Festive 5K has a reputation for bringing timely Christmas cheer to Ely.
Every year hundreds of runners complete a pushchair friendly 5K route, which includes partial road closures and winds around the city’s historical streets and riverside.
More than £70,000 has been raised by Ely Festive 5k since it first started in 2010.
• To take part sign up onlline or call 01223 675888 for a postal registration form. Places cost £12.50 for adults and £8 for children under 16. Registration will close on reaching 800 participants, or at 1pm on Friday 23 November. Completed forms can be sent to the Arthur Rank Hospice at Great Shelford (Cambridge) or delivered in person with registration fees to the Ely office of Ward Gethin Archer, Market Place, by November 21.