Ely family raise £444 for breast cancer with a garden party
Ely couple Catherine and Michael Richer raised over £440 for Breast Cancer at a strawberry tea party at their home at the weekend.
It was the second time they have held such an event since their daughter Michelle Black was diagnosed with the disease in November 2013 at the age of 32.
Mum of two Mrs Black had to have surgery but thanks to early diagnosis is doing well, but she wants to raise awareness and said: “I want young people to be aware and ensure they check themselves regularly for any changes (it doesn’t just happen to old people).”
Family and friends enjoyed tea and cake, with raffle prizes to be won, guess the number of sweets in a jar and weight of a cake.
The children were not left out as Mrs Black did face painting.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to say a big thanks to my mum and dad for all their hard work and especially my mum’s efforts with all the baking, it’s great to do something positive and give something back to others in a similar situation. Thanks to all who came along to support us and help raise this amazing amount for a great charity. Perhaps next year we will hire a venue and be even bigger,” said Mrs Black.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months