Ely Eel Day is back this year, with music, theatre and more
- Credit: ARCHANT
Ely’s annual Eel Fayre is going ahead this year, albeit on a smaller scale due to government guidelines around the Covid-19 pandemic.
Stalls, entertainment and food will feature at the July 17 event, which is free to enter and will have one-way systems, according to tourism and town centre manager Anna Bennett.
“Whilst it may not be the usual eel festival, Visit Ely is still marking the occasion by holding a smaller, community event celebrating the humble Eel and all things local,” she added.
Ely’s patriotic ‘Ellie’ and friends’ will be on the east lawn of Ely Cathedral from 10am-4pm.
A small arena of events will be going on throughout the day, with everything from eel throwing (not real eels, just stuffed toys).
There will be entertainment from KD Theatre, Living History actors, local folk music, stalls, crafts, food and drink.
“This will be a great family day out and a chance to commemorate Ely’s very own traditional event that has taken place in for many years,” Anna added.
- 1 Woman, 80, dies following A141 crash
- 2 Pair trapped after A142 crash rescued from ditch
- 3 'Rubberneckers' cause second crash trying to view overturned lorry
- 4 Village farm buildings targeted in arson attack
- 5 Have you seen Harry Gibson? He's wanted by police
- 6 Chapel conversion withdrawn following stinging rebuke
- 7 Councillors left disappointed as decision made on £37m station project
- 8 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 9 Two women fighting for life after A141 crash
- 10 Ely and Cambridge for Neil Hilgrove Colledge recitals
“It is going to be quirkier than ever, so support your local businesses by popping the date in your diary as many will be there.
"We are very much looking forward to bringing this day back to Ely, after months of nothing.
“We are also eternally grateful to various local businesses that are sponsoring this event and other events planned for this year. Watch this space.”
For pitch enquiries (limited due to the change in location) contact email@example.com