Ely driver arrested for endangering safety on the railway
AN Ely driver suspected of driving onto Littleport railway track in the path of an oncoming train has been arrested for a string of offences, British Transport Police has confirmed. The 22-year-old, who is from Ely, is accused of driving onto the tracks a
AN Ely driver suspected of driving onto Littleport railway track in the path of an oncoming train has been arrested for a string of offences, British Transport Police has confirmed.
The 22-year-old, who is from Ely, is accused of driving onto the tracks at Padnal Bank when the barriers were down, seconds before the King's Lynn to King's Cross service headed through at 11.30pm.
A spokesperson for British Transport Police said: "We can confirm that a 22-year-old man from Ely has been arrested for dangerous driving, endangering safety on the railway, driving with no insurance and driving under the influence of drink and drugs following a collision between a car and a train at Littleport level crossing in Ely, Cambridgeshire on Friday, October 17.
"The man has been bailed pending further police enquiries and will return to answer his bail on December 18."
Landlord of the nearby Black Horse Pub, Harald Rauch, described how his customers had rushed out to try and help the man, who was trapped in the vehicle and had to be cut free by the fire service.
All 30 passengers and the train's driver were unhurt, but the train services were disrupted until the following morning.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 5 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 10 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
The car driver suffered slight injuries - he was attended to by paramedics at the scene, taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge and later released.