Ely Consort bring ‘Sing and be joyful’ concert to Ely Methodist Church
- Credit: Archant
Ely Consort’s next concert takes place in Ely Methodist Church on Saturday March 16 at 7.30pm.
The title of the concert, Sing and be joyful, is taken from the opening of Psalm 100, which begins the concert for double choir by Heinrich Schütz.
Local cellist Anna Jones is the instrumental soloist for this concert. As well as her cello solos, Anna joins the consort in two pieces for choir and cello: Ola Gjeilo’s Serenity and David Brunner’s O Music.
Many of the other pieces in the programme are also psalm texts, including Palestrina’s Exsultate Deo (Come, rejoice and sing), Ko Matsushita’s melodic setting of Cantate Domino (Sing to the Lord) and Sweelinck’s Laudate Dominum (O praise the Lord our God).
The choir is accompanied by pianist Charlie Penn, who leads the concert finale, the Polovtsian Dances from Alexander Borodin’s Prince Igor.
You may also want to watch:
Buy tickets, £10 in advance or £12 on the door (under 16s receive free entry) from www.ticketsource.co.uk/elyconsort or Burrow’s Bookshop.
The concert starts at 7.30pm.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning