Ely College students to get careers boost from business mentoring scheme
- Credit: Archant
A mentoring scheme has been expanded to help young people make the transition from school to the world of work.
Twenty-six Ely College Sixth Form pupils will get to discuss topics including CV writing and performing in interviews with business figures in the community.
The scheme, in its second year, is run in partnership with members of the Ely Cathedral Business Group and Ely Chamber of Commerce.
At a networking meeting on Thursday, 15 new Year 12 students met and talked to the business mentors who volunteer for the scheme.
Mayor of Ely Councillor Lis Every, the scheme’s co-ordinator, said: “We had this programme in Peterborough where I taught for many years and I know the benefits that the students gained from working so closely with business people, so was delighted when the Cathedral Business Group helped us launch the initiative with Ely College.
You may also want to watch:
“A very effective partnership has been formed and we are aiming to grow the scheme year on year as well as increasing the regular contacts students have with our local businesses.
“We want to provide a sustainable programme for our students which results in their acquiring the skills they need for the future, whether it be work with training, apprenticeships or university and our local businesses have a real part to play in this.
- 1 Village pub limits reopening to ‘bread and butter customers’ only
- 2 Action this day as new alliance slashes £72k from councillors' allowance budget
- 3 Park and ride from Milton to return next month
- 4 Witchford hold their heads high despite narrow Cambs League cup exit
- 5 Hifields to bring world-class artists and 6,000 festival-goers to Cambridgeshire countryside
- 6 Shoppers rush to help man injured after falling in High Street
- 7 Family pay tribute to ‘talented’ father-of-three veteran killed in crash
- 8 Letter: Amazing reunion for couple thanks to paramedics
- 9 Family traumatised as their beloved Waffle shot in the face
- 10 Man charged with armed robbery in Fenland
“With the growth of jobs in Ely, we want our young people to be able to live and work in our area.”