Ely College students to get careers boost from business mentoring scheme
- Credit: Archant
A mentoring scheme has been expanded to help young people make the transition from school to the world of work.
Twenty-six Ely College Sixth Form pupils will get to discuss topics including CV writing and performing in interviews with business figures in the community.
The scheme, in its second year, is run in partnership with members of the Ely Cathedral Business Group and Ely Chamber of Commerce.
At a networking meeting on Thursday, 15 new Year 12 students met and talked to the business mentors who volunteer for the scheme.
Mayor of Ely Councillor Lis Every, the scheme’s co-ordinator, said: “We had this programme in Peterborough where I taught for many years and I know the benefits that the students gained from working so closely with business people, so was delighted when the Cathedral Business Group helped us launch the initiative with Ely College.
“A very effective partnership has been formed and we are aiming to grow the scheme year on year as well as increasing the regular contacts students have with our local businesses.
“We want to provide a sustainable programme for our students which results in their acquiring the skills they need for the future, whether it be work with training, apprenticeships or university and our local businesses have a real part to play in this.
- 1 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 2 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 3 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 4 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 5 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
- 6 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 7 New deadline for £6m crematorium decision
- 8 Arson arrest after Wisbech blaze
- 9 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 10 Cambridge 'knife-wielder' arrested
“With the growth of jobs in Ely, we want our young people to be able to live and work in our area.”