Ely College’s high flyers are honoured at inaugural sports awards
- Credit: Archant
The new Ely College Sports Leadership Awards got off to a flying start this year.
The new awards, backed by Corkers Crisps, recognised and rewarded students of all ages for their involvement in promoting and participating in sports.
Awards were made in three categories; performance, leadership and commitment and to be selected for an award, students had to demonstrate excellence in their personal performance, in their leadership of others, and/or in their levels of commitment.
At the same time, they had also to demonstrate satisfactory performance in other subjects, and in relation to their behaviour and conduct, in and out of school.
If a student achieves an award in all three categories during their time at the college, they are rewarded with the Platinum Sports Award for Achievement.
You may also want to watch:
The winner of the platinum award in 2014 was Sarah McLaughlin, for her all round performance in each of the three categories.
In the same week, Louise Stableford, winner of an award in the performance category, qualified to compete in the 200m nationals in August.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 8 Death crash driver who fled is jailed
- 9 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack
- 10 Farm shop receives 'overwhelming' response ahead of opening
Rod Garnham, one of the owners of Corkers Crisps, said: “We are delighted to support Ely College’s Sports Awards, and it’s great to see such a high standard of achievement from students in its inaugural year. We very much look forward to more of the same in subsequent years.”
Ben Gibbs, chair of governors at Ely College, said: “I would like to thank Rod and his colleagues at Corkers Crisps for their support and generosity in sponsoring these awards. It’s fantastic to see a local business grow so successfully on the basis of a local product, and I am delighted that they have engaged with our curriculum in this way.”