Futuristic tips put to the test as students get the chance to take part in global robotics competition
- Credit: Archant
Budding engineers of the future in Ely were inspired by robotics kits to participate in a global competition.
Three local schools, including Ely College, have been provided with robotics kits to participate in the VEX EDR competition - a globally organised robotics competition with 20,000 teams across 45 countries.
A group of students have taken up the challenge and the first robots are already underway.
East Cambs Robotics is an initiative set up by a local automation engineering company, Innomech, to help inspire the next generation of young engineers.
Working in line with the year-long government campaign ‘Year of Engineering’, Innomech are passionate about tackling the engineering skills gap.
You may also want to watch:
The first VEX East Cambs schools event, involving Ely College, Soham and Witchford is set for July 10 at Ely College.
From September 2018 the teams will participate in VEX EDR 2017-18 regional competitions, with the possibility of progressing to national or even world level.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
The competition will involve three challenges – volleyball, basketball and cube stacking.
While Innomech has given the scheme a good start, it will be for the team to support themselves through fundraising.
Sponsorship will be the main source of income, so if any individual or company wish to offer their support they should get in touch with Mr A Fisher on firstname.lastname@example.org