Ely coach company backing safety campaign
COACH hire company Greys of Ely is backing a campaign aimed at improving the safety of school children travelling on coaches.
Belt Up School Kids (BUSK) is using School Transport Week, which runs from September 24-30, to raise awareness about transport safety after two fatal coach crashes this year.
Greys, which is the first Cambridgeshire operator to have been awarded Simply Safe accreditation from BUSK, is lending its support to the campaign by writing to the head-teachers and governing bodies of all Cambridgeshire schools and colleges to make sure they have a School Transport Policy which includes BUSK’s suggested guidelines.
Grey’s managing director, Richard Grey said: “Most schools cannot afford to employ a transport manager and all are under huge financial pressure but there is plenty of information available to help teachers and governing bodies check that the arrangements they have in place are fully compliant with the law and also satisfy the guidelines set down by BUSK.”
BUSK director Pat Harris added: “Parents trust and expect the school to hire the safest, not the cheapest coach company. BUSK believes we should not expect teachers to become transport managers and that parents should be prepared to pay a pound or two more on the cost of the trip to enable schools to consider hiring a coach for the going rate. How many parents would refuse to pay a little more to safeguard their child?”
You may also want to watch:
INFO: BUSK website at www.busk-uk.com
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 6 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 7 Prosecuted drone pilot breached Civil Aviation Authority regulations
- 8 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 9 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 10 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing