Ely club’s annual event is a steaming success
- Credit: Archant
A replica of Ely’s notorious railway bridge complete with a van stuck underneath it was among the layouts at the annual Ely Model Railway Club’s exhibition at the weekend.
There were 14 layouts in total on display including the one of Ely station and its bridge for members of the public to admire.
Visitors to the exhibition were also invited to vote for their favourite display and the winner was Sad Burdett from Norfolk with his layout entitled Salmon Pastures for which he won a commemorative plaque.
Members of the club together with around 60 invited guests from around the country were present with their tracks and also larger trains that were offering steam rides outside in the grounds of Ely College.
Club chairman Andy Wilkinson said: “It was very successful with a lot of people coming along. The Ely layout caused a few laughs among the visitors and the train rides were also popular.”
You may also want to watch:
The event, which has been held almost every year since the club was formed in 1977, aims to show-off what the club does and to help raise funds for rent on its meeting room.
Security issues mean the club’s meeting venue is kept private but anyone interested in finding out more and joining should visit the website at www.elymrc.org.uk
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'