Ely City WI hold centenary meal and unveil new birch tree to celebrate 100 years of the Women’s Institute
- Credit: Archant
Ely City WI celebrated the 100th anniversary of the WI earlier this month with two events to mark the milestone.
The first was a centennial meal held on Monday September 14 for its members and invited guests, including: Mayor of Ely Liz Every, president of Isle of Ely Federation, Val Ware, ex Ely City President, Majorie Cooper, and Ely WI’s first speaker, Elizabeth Bradbury, who provided an after dinner talk.
Guests also enjoyed a two course meal which was provided by Sunflower Catering, and a cake made by Ruth Sindall, Ely City WI’s Vice President.
Then, both Ely City WI and Ely Northwold WI came together on Wednesday September 16 for the unveiling of a silver birch tree and plaque in Jubilee Gardens, Ely.
Yvonne Dockerill, president of Ely City, said that “both she and Sharon Owen, president of Ely Northwold, were honoured to be serving during this anniversary year”.
You may also want to watch:
The first WI meeting occurred on 16 September 1915 at the Anglesey village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.
There are currently 35 Women’s Institutes within the Isle of Ely Federation, 10 of which are near to Ely itself.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 10 Rats are causing 'abhorrent situation' in town, admits councillor
To find out more about the WI, tel 01354 652284 or visit www.thewi.org.uk