Ely City WI hold centenary meal and unveil new birch tree to celebrate 100 years of the Women’s Institute
- Credit: Archant
Ely City WI celebrated the 100th anniversary of the WI earlier this month with two events to mark the milestone.
The first was a centennial meal held on Monday September 14 for its members and invited guests, including: Mayor of Ely Liz Every, president of Isle of Ely Federation, Val Ware, ex Ely City President, Majorie Cooper, and Ely WI’s first speaker, Elizabeth Bradbury, who provided an after dinner talk.
Guests also enjoyed a two course meal which was provided by Sunflower Catering, and a cake made by Ruth Sindall, Ely City WI’s Vice President.
Then, both Ely City WI and Ely Northwold WI came together on Wednesday September 16 for the unveiling of a silver birch tree and plaque in Jubilee Gardens, Ely.
Yvonne Dockerill, president of Ely City, said that “both she and Sharon Owen, president of Ely Northwold, were honoured to be serving during this anniversary year”.
The first WI meeting occurred on 16 September 1915 at the Anglesey village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyll.
There are currently 35 Women’s Institutes within the Isle of Ely Federation, 10 of which are near to Ely itself.
- 1 Casualty treated for smoke inhalation following house fire
- 2 Cambridgeshire man kicked and headbutted police officers
- 3 Have your say on proposed commercial development in Ely
- 4 Headteacher ‘extremely proud’ after school receives games mark award
- 5 Threat to cancel or 'indefinitely pause' £450m Ely rail upgrade
- 6 Vehicle fire caused heavy traffic on A14
- 7 Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrive in Newmarket for Cambs County Day
- 8 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 9 County Day hopes to shine light on young farmers of Cambridgeshire
- 10 A14 westbound closed after car catches fire
To find out more about the WI, tel 01354 652284 or visit www.thewi.org.uk