Ely City Hockey Club juniors raise £402 at weekend tournament
- Credit: Archant
It was Ely City Hockey Club’s turn to host the Cambridgeshire Junior League Tournament at the weekend.
They welcomed under 12, under 10 and under eight teams from Cambridge City and March Town Hockey Clubs to Ely Outdoor Sports Association on Sunday morning.
Although some of the opposition teams were much stronger, the Ely City teams all played really well, winning some of their matches. Head coach and youth co-ordinator David Carford said: “It was great to see our Juniors really enjoying themselves.
“The improvement in their games and in their confidence from the beginning of the season was noticeable.
“They have all benefitted hugely from being part of this new league.”
You may also want to watch:
During the tournament parents helped sell refreshments and cakes to raise much needed funds for the replacement astro pitch.
Organiser Felicity Palmer said: “We raised a fantastic £402 for the pitch fund appeal.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
“A big thank you goes to everyone who helped on the stall, baked cakes, sold raffle tickets and supported us – it was a real achievement.”
Junior hockey training continues after Easter until the May half term. New members of all abilities are welcome.