Ely City Golf Club members get fundraising in full swing with Three Peaks challenge
- Credit: Archant
Five members of Ely City Golf Club traded their clubs for hiking boots and trekked across the nation’s three highest peaks to raise money for charity.
Karl Mackender, James Smith, Steve Sharp and Tim Ashman completed the National Three Peaks Challenge in aid of the club’s charity of the year, East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH).
The group raised an impressive £4,100 by trekking across Ben Nevis in Scotland, Scafell Pike in England and Snowdon in Wales in just 24 hours in June.
Tim Ashman, said: “We all started chatting about what we could do to raise money as we wanted to offer our support. The challenge itself was tough; Steve and I walk on mountains regularly on family holidays, James is an occasional mountain walker but for Karl it was his first real experience of walking the fells.
“From January onwards we went on weekends walking each month and that was a great help with fitness and dealing with the conditions we’d come across.
You may also want to watch:
“Having Ali driving us was a godsend, it meant we were able to just jump in the car and be on our way allowing us all to freshen up and catch a bit of rest. We couldn’t have done it without him! We completed the challenge with just ten minutes to spare, having spurred each other on throughout. It was an amazing experience and one we will all remember.
“We’re thrilled with the amount raised and know it will be well spent by EACH.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 8 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
EACH Cambridgeshire Community Fundraiser, Peter Law, said: “I’d like to say a huge congratulation to the whole team from the Ely City Golf Club for completing this impressive challenge.
“The amount raised is truly fantastic and we are so grateful for their support. All the money raised will be spent on the vital services we provide to local families at a time when they need it most.”
For more information on the Ely City Golf Club visit: www.elygolf.co.uk and for more on EACH visit: www.each.org.uk.