Football fans' idea for charity match due to come true
- Credit: Ollie Cowan
Ely City FC will play host to a charity match for Prostate Cancer UK thanks to the idea of three local football fans.
Joe Maynard reached out to Kurtis Mpundu and Ollie Cowan of the Nothing to Lose podcast in a bid to stage an event to support the charity with a football match.
Speaking to the podcast, Joe said: “I thought it would be a good idea to get everybody together to raise money for a special cause, and whatever way to do it than with a football match.
"Every player on the two teams has a strong connection to Ely and the football club, so I'm looking forward to not only giving something back to the city we have grown up in, but raise money for a brilliant cause."
Joe added: "With more emphasis on this charity, we can make men more aware of the symptoms and the earlier they get checked the earlier it can be sorted.’’
You may also want to watch:
The match, to be held on Friday, July 23, is one of four charity matches that the Robins will be hosting at the Demcom Stadium this summer.
Spectators will be asked to donate what they want, there is already a JustGiving page set up and different prizes will be available to win on the night.
To donate prior to the match, visit: https://bit.ly/3yUylpf.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k