Our guide to Ely’s Christmas lights switch-on 2017
- Credit: Archant
There are just 10 days to go until the festive season truly begins in Ely with the city’s big Christmas Lights switch-on.
Thousands of people will celebrate the start of Christmas on Friday December 1 with stalls, rides, festive food and a host of musical entertainment – the line-up of which has remained a secret... until now.
The country’s number one George Michael Tribute act, Nelson, will perform the late hit-maker’s classics and top Abba tribute act, Abbababes, will bring the curtain down on the evening – glittery costumes and all.
Micky and Minnie Mouse, Olaf from Disney’s Frozen and of course, Father Christmas will be stopping by to meet youngsters, as well as Steve the Juggler, who will entertain crowds around Fore Hill with his flashing LED batons and fire balls.
The switch-on’s big wheel will also return as well as its much-loved fairground rides.
You may also want to watch:
The fun begins at 4.30pm with the procession led Father Christmas, followed by KD Theatre’s cast of Beauty and the Beast, which will weave its way through the city streets before performing on the main stage.
The switch-on itself takes place at 6.45pm, and live entertainment will run until 8.30.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 6 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
Ely Christmas Lights Switch On event manager, Ian Newstead, said: “Over the last 14 years, the event run by City of Ely Council and organised by a small group local volunteers has grown into a well-established fixture of the city’s calendar, and draws thousands of visitors to Ely’s City Centre.
“December 1 sees this year’s event spreading throughout the city with new attractions all over and that once again the streets of Ely will be transformed back to the time to celebrate Christmas under the shadows of the cathedral.
“We’d like to thank this year’s sponsors the Royal Standard, Greys of Ely, Waitrose Ely, The Lamb Hotel, David Clarke Homes, DT Transport, Ward Gethin Archer, EMG, Gill Insulation, DBL Castles, Lakenheath Fireworks, Price Bailey, Ely Hereward Rotary Club, Ely Rotary Club, Impress Express, Speedy Hire, JezO Events, Spotted in Ely and Zack FM.
“The Switch On Group are still looking for sponsors for the main event, so if you are interested in becoming a sponsor please call 07902 015598.”
Road closures will be in place from 5.30am. For more information, visit www.elylightswitchon.webs.com.