Our guide to Ely’s Christmas lights switch-on 2017
- Credit: Archant
There are just 10 days to go until the festive season truly begins in Ely with the city’s big Christmas Lights switch-on.
Thousands of people will celebrate the start of Christmas on Friday December 1 with stalls, rides, festive food and a host of musical entertainment – the line-up of which has remained a secret... until now.
The country’s number one George Michael Tribute act, Nelson, will perform the late hit-maker’s classics and top Abba tribute act, Abbababes, will bring the curtain down on the evening – glittery costumes and all.
Micky and Minnie Mouse, Olaf from Disney’s Frozen and of course, Father Christmas will be stopping by to meet youngsters, as well as Steve the Juggler, who will entertain crowds around Fore Hill with his flashing LED batons and fire balls.
The switch-on’s big wheel will also return as well as its much-loved fairground rides.
The fun begins at 4.30pm with the procession led Father Christmas, followed by KD Theatre’s cast of Beauty and the Beast, which will weave its way through the city streets before performing on the main stage.
The switch-on itself takes place at 6.45pm, and live entertainment will run until 8.30.
- 1 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 2 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 5 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 6 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 7 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 8 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Back garden log cabin needs permission says council
Ely Christmas Lights Switch On event manager, Ian Newstead, said: “Over the last 14 years, the event run by City of Ely Council and organised by a small group local volunteers has grown into a well-established fixture of the city’s calendar, and draws thousands of visitors to Ely’s City Centre.
“December 1 sees this year’s event spreading throughout the city with new attractions all over and that once again the streets of Ely will be transformed back to the time to celebrate Christmas under the shadows of the cathedral.
“We’d like to thank this year’s sponsors the Royal Standard, Greys of Ely, Waitrose Ely, The Lamb Hotel, David Clarke Homes, DT Transport, Ward Gethin Archer, EMG, Gill Insulation, DBL Castles, Lakenheath Fireworks, Price Bailey, Ely Hereward Rotary Club, Ely Rotary Club, Impress Express, Speedy Hire, JezO Events, Spotted in Ely and Zack FM.
“The Switch On Group are still looking for sponsors for the main event, so if you are interested in becoming a sponsor please call 07902 015598.”
Road closures will be in place from 5.30am. For more information, visit www.elylightswitchon.webs.com.