Christmas lights switch-on event cancelled over 'Covid uncertainty'
- Credit: SAUD BEN-SAUD
Ely's annual Christmas lights switch-on event has been cancelled for 2021 due to "uncertainty" surrounding the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
The decision was made by the City of Ely Council, several months in advance of the now-cancelled event.
The Mayor of Ely and chair of the City of Ely Council, Cllr Sue Austen, said: "Unfortunately, due to the uncertainty with Covid-19, the council has taken the decision not to proceed with the Christmas lights switch-on event this year.
"However, the council very much looks forward to providing the Christmas lights Illuminations and a Christmas shopping evening where these can be appreciated.
"More details regarding this will be published in due course.
You may also want to watch:
"The council is very grateful to all the volunteers that have helped, past and present, in providing the switch-on event in previous years.
"And also thank you to all those that are out in all weathers erecting the lights for us all to enjoy."
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident