All you need to know about Ely’s Christmas light switch on 2018
- Credit: Archant
Get set for Ely’s biggest Christmas light switch-on with live music, funfair rides, top musical entertainment and Santa arriving on a white horse drawn carriage.
Over the last 14 years the event run by City of Ely Council and organised by a small group of volunteers has grown into a well-established fixture of the city’s calendar.
Thousands are expected to descend on the city on Friday November 30 to see the streets transformed to celebrate Christmas under the shadows of Ely Cathedral.
In partnership with the City of Ely Council, the famous switch on parade will happen with Santa arriving on a white horse drawn carriage through the streets and to Market Place on the switch on evening.
The fun starts at 4.30pm with live acts on stage to allow folks to also join in the fun with top musical and entertainment acts on the big stage.
You may also want to watch:
In addition to the headline act - which is being kept a secret for the time being - award-winning local theatre group KD Theatre will kick off the switch on by joining in the procession through the city with the cast of Jack and the Beanstalk.
All the fun starts from 3pm with funfair rides and the stall-holders opening at 4pm - but be aware road closures are on all day from 5.30am.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 9 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
The switch on group is still looking for sponsors for the main event so if you are interested in becoming a sponsor or for more information please contact the event manager Ian Newstead on 07902 015598.
Performers will include Freddie Mercury tribute Gary Goodmaze, Joe Cook as Michael Jackson and Nikki Dine Hard as Frozen’s Elsa.
Ely’s Octagon Dance Studios will also showcase their latest moves.
“Last year all the acts live on stage were very successful and we are confident this year’s act will be equally as popular for the people of Ely,” said a council spokesman.
The event is support by Ely Standard, BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and local businesses.