All you need to know about Ely’s Christmas light switch on 2018
- Credit: Archant
Get set for Ely’s biggest Christmas light switch-on with live music, funfair rides, top musical entertainment and Santa arriving on a white horse drawn carriage.
Over the last 14 years the event run by City of Ely Council and organised by a small group of volunteers has grown into a well-established fixture of the city’s calendar.
Thousands are expected to descend on the city on Friday November 30 to see the streets transformed to celebrate Christmas under the shadows of Ely Cathedral.
In partnership with the City of Ely Council, the famous switch on parade will happen with Santa arriving on a white horse drawn carriage through the streets and to Market Place on the switch on evening.
The fun starts at 4.30pm with live acts on stage to allow folks to also join in the fun with top musical and entertainment acts on the big stage.
In addition to the headline act - which is being kept a secret for the time being - award-winning local theatre group KD Theatre will kick off the switch on by joining in the procession through the city with the cast of Jack and the Beanstalk.
All the fun starts from 3pm with funfair rides and the stall-holders opening at 4pm - but be aware road closures are on all day from 5.30am.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 4 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
The switch on group is still looking for sponsors for the main event so if you are interested in becoming a sponsor or for more information please contact the event manager Ian Newstead on 07902 015598.
Performers will include Freddie Mercury tribute Gary Goodmaze, Joe Cook as Michael Jackson and Nikki Dine Hard as Frozen’s Elsa.
Ely’s Octagon Dance Studios will also showcase their latest moves.
“Last year all the acts live on stage were very successful and we are confident this year’s act will be equally as popular for the people of Ely,” said a council spokesman.
The event is support by Ely Standard, BBC Radio Cambridgeshire and local businesses.