With 15,000 visitors the Ely Cathedral Christmas food and gift fair proves a sell out - but don’t worry the dates are set for 2019 already
- Credit: Archant
More than 15,000 visitors attended the annual gift and food fair at Ely Cathedral making it record attendance for the seventh year running.
Many stall holders sold out and one had to make the 200-mile journey home on Thursday evening just to restock.
Tasty patisserie, handmade decorations, gift boxed ales and cheeses and knitted accessories were just some of the items on offer.
The café marquee provided the perfect spot to sit down and enjoy some delicious festive treats, while a grand carousel sat stately in the grounds.
The event took place across three days from November 15 to 17.
You may also want to watch:
Due to the increasing popularity an extra day was also added.
Lesley Ann Thompson, the cathedral’s director of communications and commerce, said: “Our focus is to make it an enjoyable day out for everyone.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 5 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 8 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 9 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 10 From Star Wars to Cambridge Arts Theatre... Actor Ian McDiarmid talks about The Lemon Table
“Crowd control, easy access and car parking are always a major concern as we understand this can cause unnecessary stress to visitors.
“The additional day worked well in creating a less busy environment and we were delighted that so many people used the dedicated park and ride service or travelled by train.
“An event of this size and calibre takes a great deal of organising and preparation and we are fortunate to have such a fantastic team of staff and volunteers.”
The 2019 event runs from November 14-16.
The popular event is widely acknowledged as one of East Anglia’s exceptional Christmas shopping experiences.