ELY CATHEDRAL: Your Chance To Look Round Ely's Norman Cathedral For Free
ELY Cathedral is hosting its annual Open Evening on Friday and the public are invited to look around this historical building for free. The inaugural event last year proved to be a huge success with more than 1500 people taking up the offer. This year s
ELY Cathedral is hosting its annual Open Evening on Friday and the public are invited to look around this historical building for free. The inaugural event last year proved to be a huge success with more than 1500 people taking up the offer. This year's event, will include a glass of wine and will run from 4pm till 9.30pm.
Highlights of the evening include - Informal tours by one of the experienced Cathedral There will also be free tours of the Octagon Tower, the West Tower and the Monastic Buildings and access to the organ loft, talks on the Lady Chapel, craftsmen demonstrating their skills, including wood turning and stone masonry, open rehearsals of the choristers in their song school, musical recital by the Ely Cathedral Choristers in the Presbytery and free admission to the Stained Glass Museum and Choral Evensong in the Lady Chapel with its wonderful acoustics.
Other items on display include silver ware, vestments and some documents and manuscripts from the cathedral's archives, including a 200-year old love letter, a photo of the cathedral's earliest charter as well as other old photos and images. The cathedral archivist will be on site to answer any questions.
Alan Hargrave, Canon Missioner at the cathedral, said: "The cathedral was recently voted one of the 'Top 20 must-see buildings in the UK' in The Times newspaper. We have more than 100,000 visitors come to the cathedral each year from all over the world and we feel it is important for local people to experience what is on their own doorstep. It was a wonderful event last year, very relaxed and informal, and we hope to welcome even more people this time. If you've never been inside this amazing building and seen what it has to offer, now is your chance."
You may also want to watch:
The Cathedral Refectory and shop will be open most of the evening for gifts, refreshments and souvenirs. The evening will conclude with a echo of the cathedral's past with a service of Compline which is how the monks of Ely ended their day. It will be sung by Candlelight at 9.30pm in the famous Lady Chapel.
- 1 Outcry over new road which will pass through woodland
- 2 'Dedicated' PCSO retires after 12 years amid force funding cuts
- 3 You can now watch Ely Cathedral’s rare Peregrine Falcons live 24/7
- 4 Tyler Goodjohn ready to enter lion's den in world title bid
- 5 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 6 Letters: How could we afford 120 police officers for boat race?
- 7 Motorcycle firm gearing up to show off lockdown project
- 8 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 9 Cheers! Busy first weekend back for pub post-lockdown
- 10 Offensive graffiti: ‘Hate crimes have no place in Cambridgeshire’