Ely Cathedral listed amongst top 25 in Europe in 'high-profile' book
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Ely Cathedral has been listed amongst the top 25 in Europe in a new 'high-profile' book.
The cathedral is featured in ‘Europe’s 100 Best Cathedrals’ written by leading architectural historian Simon Jenkins.
In an exploration of European history, the book tells the stories behind the magnificent buildings showing the cathedral’s central role in the European imagination.
It also marks revival of interest in cathedrals as congregations rise.
Six British Cathedrals made the top 25, including Winchester, Canterbury, Durham, Lincoln, Wells and Ely.
In choosing the top 25, Simon believes everyone should see them before they die.
“They represent its most embedded institution, Christianity, in all its finery,” he said.
- 1 E-scooter crackdown sees crimes drop by third across county
- 2 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 3 Caught on camera the moment an otter came up for dinner
- 4 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 5 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 6 Combined Authority in freefall: how on earth did we get to this?
- 7 Model rail exhibition back after three years
- 8 Coastal hotel with big aspirations wins tourism award
- 9 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Free trips on classic coaches at Busfest 2022
“Even today, no other building on Earth can compare to these structures.
“They’re history and geography, art and science, mind and body in one.”
You can purchase the book from November 4.