Ely Cathedral to light up to show support for baby loss awareness week
- Credit: Archant
Ely Cathedral will light up in pink and blue for baby loss awareness week this October.
The city landmark will show their support for the cause once again this year - from October 9 to 15 - as part of the initiative by charity Petals.
The baby loss counselling charity is appealing to local businesses, organisations, landmarks and other workplaces to display the colours to raise awareness of the devastating impact losing a baby can have.
Nine babies are stillborn every single day in the UK, and one in four pregnancies will end in miscarriage.
Petals say there is still a stigma attached to baby loss, meaning that couples who lose a child during or just after pregnancy are often left feeling isolated at a time when they desperately need support.
Karen Burgess, chief executive at Petals, said: “Petals exists to provide specialist counselling to bereaved parents, but Baby Loss Awareness Week is all about widening the conversation, encouraging everyone to talk about baby loss.
“If more people did this, parents may find it easier to cope with the grief and trauma they’ve experienced rather than feeling that they have to suffer in silence”.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 8 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Corporal lines up world record 135km paddleboard trek for 'gleaming' Bobby
Businesses and organisations that are interested in lighting up pink and blue this year should email firstname.lastname@example.org
More information is also available at www.petalscharity.org/blaw2018