Ely Cathedral provides the perfect platform as bird watchers enjoy bumper weekend
- Credit: Archant
Raptors stole the show as dozens of people enjoyed a spot of bird watching from the West Tower of Ely Cathedral over the weekend.
Among a host of birds observed over Saturday and Sunday were marsh harriers, sparrowhawks, kestrels, buzzards and hobby along with a peregrine falcon, red kite and even a barn owl.
The usual array of swifts were spotted nesting in nearby St Mary’s Church and there were also plenty of smaller birds on offer, from little egrets to jays.
Members of the public were invited up to a special viewing platform on Sunday to join Ely Wildspace members as they looked out for miles around.
Liz Hunter, chairman of Ely Wildspace, said: “The three sessions of birding from the tower over the weekend were great fun. From a birding perspective it was most akin to sea watching and I feel excited about the prospect of trying watches at different times of the year and in different conditions.
You may also want to watch:
“It was great meeting and chatting with lots of interesting folk throughout the two days who were keen to see the birds and enjoy the novel setting.”
Liz also extended her thanks to Ely Cathedral for allowing them the opportunity to use the tower.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Lib Dems score notable successes in East Cambridgeshire
- 3 Stagecoach suspends Milton park and ride
- 4 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 5 Littleport tops poll for the lowest turnout in council elections
- 6 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 7 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 8 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 9 Ely man caught after nine months on the run from Suffolk prison
- 10 Man, 27, punched schoolchildren and women in unprovoked attack