Ely Cathedral Is In The Country's Top 20 Must-See Buildings
ELY Cathedral has been nominated as one of the top 20 must-see buildings in the UK. The list has been compiled by the world renowned publishers Dorling Kindersley. They have recently sold their 50 millionth travel guide, DK Eyewitness Travel Guides, and
ELY Cathedral has been nominated as one of the top 20 must-see buildings in the UK. The list has been compiled by the world renowned publishers Dorling Kindersley. They have recently sold their 50 millionth travel guide, DK Eyewitness Travel Guides, and are celebrating having reached 15 years of publishing these best-sellers which are filled with trademark cut-away illustrations and lavish photographs. To mark this milestone they decided to compile a list of the Top 20 buildings to visit in Britain and the Top 20 worldwide. Both lists were recently published by The Times newspaper.
Lesley Ann Thompson, marketing manager at the cathedral said that staff at the cathedral were delighted, but not surprised at the accolade.
"We welcome visitors from all over the world and they are always amazed when they walk through the Galilee Porch and into the cathedral - it is almost as if they don't expect a building of such structure and magnificence to exist here, surrounded by all this fenland. It is truly awe-inspiring."
Ely Cathedral has taken on a much higher profile in the last few years with the release of two major films which used the cathedral as one of their key locations. A substantial amount of Elizabeth The Golden Age was filmed inside the cathedral and then last summer, scenes from The Other Boleyn Girl were shot inside the building. In cathedral has also featured on many high profile TV productions such as How Britain Was Built with David Dimbleby.
Ely Cathedral features in The Top 20 Must See Buildings in the UK' alongside Burghley House, The Barbican, The House of Parliament, Wales Millennium Centre and St Pancras Station.
- 1 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 5 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 6 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 7 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 8 Rudolph the red phone box reindeer arrives in village
- 9 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 10 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks