Ely Cathedral inspires King’s student Libby to design ‘ethereal and romantic’ wedding dress
- Credit: Archant
A King’s Ely textiles student has designed an “ethereal and romantic” bridal gown and veil inspired by the gothic architecture of Ely Cathedral.
Libby Chessor, who is a member of Ely Cathedral Girls’ Choir, was drawn to the “ornamental details of the church’s stonework and stained glass windows while performing”.
The 18-year-old who decided to incorporate the designs into her A-Level textiles coursework, said: “As a full-time chorister, the cathedral plays a big part in my school life.
“I can see the exquisite stained-glass windows of Etheldreda’s Chapel and became fascinated in how they related to floral imagery.
“I had a eureka moment when I realised the shapes and patterns I saw could translate into a design as part of a bridal garment.
You may also want to watch:
“I wanted my design to mimic the beauty and splendour of the building.
“Ely Cathedral really is a fairy-tale setting; the sort of place where girls dream of becoming a princess.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Fireworks join Christmas lights on the Covid cancelled list for Ely
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
“I wanted to reflect that in my gown and to create something that was ethereal and romantic and that would take people’s breath away.”
Alison Rhodes, director of art at King’s Ely, said: “I thought it was absolutely super when Libby came up with the concept because I like my students to link with areas of personal interest.”
Around a dozen King’s Ely A-Level fashion and textiles students will be showcasing their garment designs and accessories at London’s Olympia as part of the Spring Knitting and Stitching Show, which takes place from March 2 to 5.