Ely Cathedral’s long-awaited Flower Festival, Kaleidoscope of Life, is officially open
- Credit: Archant
Full of spectacularly colourful floral displays, Ely Cathedral’s long-awaited Flower Festival, Kaleidoscope of Life, has officially opened to the public.
With more than 100 displays as well as shopping, music recitals and demonstrations by leading floral experts, there’s plenty to see and do this weekend.
The festival was officially opened by special guest garden designer Diarmuid Gavin at the preview evening last night (Wednesday June 20).
The overall theme of the Flower Festival design focuses on the four seasons of life.
Highlights include a water feature, a ?oral arc the length of Ely’s nave and an entire transept dedicated to commemorating the end of WWI.
The crowning glory is a 12 metre wide kaleidoscope of ?owers positioned directly under Ely’s famous Octagon tower.
In addition to the thousands of flowers, the 14th century Lady Chapel will host a programme of musical performances by choirs from across the world.
- 1 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 2 E-scooter crackdown sees crimes drop by third across county
- 3 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 4 Caught on camera the moment an otter came up for dinner
- 5 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 6 Combined Authority in freefall: how on earth did we get to this?
- 7 Model rail exhibition back after three years
- 8 Visit Ely announces series of fun-packed events ahead of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
- 9 Coastal hotel with big aspirations wins tourism award
- 10 20-year-old dies following motorbike crash in Longstanton
Visitors to the festival will also be able to enjoy floral demonstrations and shopping in the gift and craft marquee.
The festival’s creative director is Chelsea gold medal winner, Roger Woolnough, who was part of the design team for Westminster Abbey’s Festival of Flowers and was the mastermind behind Ely Cathedral’s nationally acclaimed 2013 Flower Festival.
The event features the work of over 35 flower clubs and guilds from across the eastern region.
Ely Flower Festival runs until Saturday June 24. To book tickets visit: www.elycathedral.org or call the cathedral box office on 01353 660349.