Ely Cathedral’s long-awaited Flower Festival, Kaleidoscope of Life, is officially open
- Credit: Archant
Full of spectacularly colourful floral displays, Ely Cathedral’s long-awaited Flower Festival, Kaleidoscope of Life, has officially opened to the public.
With more than 100 displays as well as shopping, music recitals and demonstrations by leading floral experts, there’s plenty to see and do this weekend.
The festival was officially opened by special guest garden designer Diarmuid Gavin at the preview evening last night (Wednesday June 20).
The overall theme of the Flower Festival design focuses on the four seasons of life.
Highlights include a water feature, a ?oral arc the length of Ely’s nave and an entire transept dedicated to commemorating the end of WWI.
You may also want to watch:
The crowning glory is a 12 metre wide kaleidoscope of ?owers positioned directly under Ely’s famous Octagon tower.
In addition to the thousands of flowers, the 14th century Lady Chapel will host a programme of musical performances by choirs from across the world.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Visitors to the festival will also be able to enjoy floral demonstrations and shopping in the gift and craft marquee.
The festival’s creative director is Chelsea gold medal winner, Roger Woolnough, who was part of the design team for Westminster Abbey’s Festival of Flowers and was the mastermind behind Ely Cathedral’s nationally acclaimed 2013 Flower Festival.
The event features the work of over 35 flower clubs and guilds from across the eastern region.
Ely Flower Festival runs until Saturday June 24. To book tickets visit: www.elycathedral.org or call the cathedral box office on 01353 660349.