Two Ely cathedral canons to sleep out overnight in the Galilee porch to raise awareness of the homeless
- Credit: Archant
Two canons of Ely Cathedral are to sleep out to raise money for homeless charities.
On December 15 Canon Jessica Martin and Canon Victoria Johnson will be wrapping up warm and sleeping in the Galilee Porch of the cathedral to raise awareness of the growing problem in Ely and around the country.
Canon Johnson said “Since 2010, there has been a 169 per cent increase in homelessness. 4751 people are estimated to sleep rough.
“We are just trying to do our bit to help and we hope people will sponsor the event generously.”
In 2015, a team from Ely Cathedral raised over £11,000 for the cause and both canons are hoping to raise as much this year.
You may also want to watch:
Canon Martin and Canon Johnson will be accompanied by their respective dogs, Gonzo and Percy.
If you would like to sponsor the sleep out or join the team sleeping out in the cathedral go to the supporter page to sign up.
Or bring your donation to the cathedral marked ‘Sleepout’. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
The Ely Cathedral Advent Sleepout Challenge takes place on Saturday December 15 in the Galilee Porch, 10pm.
For further information on how you can support please go online.