Nearly £2,000 raised for Cats Protection charity in memory of Ely’s most famous cat
- Credit: Archant
A JustGiving page set up in memory of Ely’s most famous cat has raised nearly £2,000 for the charity Cats Protection.
The Garfield Memorial Fund, which has a target of £4,664, has so far raised £1,842 for the charity because it was a cause that Garfield and his owner had supported.
A post on the page reads: "Garfield, Ely's most famous cat, was known and loved by thousands if people, around the world. He was a media star and featured in his own books
"He was clever, friendly and a great character and he was a great supporter of Cat's Protection in Ely.
"When Garfield tragically died on July 2, 2019, those who knew and loved him most wanted his legacy to live on and for the death of this extraordinary celebri-cat to make a difference to cats who are not so fortunate.
"So this fund has been created to allow people to remember Garfield by donating to this cause that was so close to Garfield's heart.
"We love and miss you Garfield but your memory lives on."
- 1 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 4 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 5 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 6 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 7 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 8 Rudolph the red phone box reindeer arrives in village
- 9 Two-day operation to feature in episode four of TV series
- 10 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
Emma Watson, who donated £10 towards the fundraiser, said: "Garfield was one in a million, and one of the best known residents of Ely.
"He generated such a positive vibe for everyone visiting the Sainsbury's store, and was a fantastic 'catvocate'."
To donate visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/mr-sainsbury-garfield