£2,587 donation towards Christmas meal appeal
- Credit: ELY & CAMBRIDGESHIRE MASONS
More than £2,500 was donated to The Ely Community Christmas Meal Appeal thanks to money raised from an online festive quiz that was held by Descensus Aquarum Lodge Ely.
The quiz also attracted sponsorship from Savills in Cambridge, and prize donations from Iceland in Ely and Homebase in Newmarket.
Further support was provided by the Province of Cambridgeshire Charity for Care and Relief, and was match funded by the Masonic Charitable Foundation.
The Ely Community Christmas Meal Appeal was born out of The Ely Cathedral Christmas Dinner Appeal that has run in previous years.
Freemasons donated £1 million between April and July to help those impacted by the Covid-19 crisis, and are now focusing on protecting the homeless, with a new series of donations across England and Wales.
Giles Cornell, pastor of the Ely Lighthouse Centre and principle organiser of the Ely Community Christmas Meal Appeal, said: “We were blown away by the generosity of the local community and this donation made a big difference.”
John Sinclair, charity steward of Descensus Aquarum Lodge in Ely, said: “We are very pleased that we have been able to give our support to this worthwhile appeal and help those less fortunate than ourselves particularly at this seasonal time of the year.”
- 1 Man dies after falling from bridge on A14 between Histon and Milton
- 2 Rogue trader tells victim: 'I'll knock your lights out'
- 3 Council leader under fire for 'culture of bullying' in wake of farmgate scandal
- 4 Hickford QUITS ahead of damning report
- 5 Delivery riders and drivers wanted as Deliveroo launches in Ely
- 6 Golf club urges locals and dog walkers to ‘respect our private land’
- 7 Popular Ely pub may never re-open
- 8 Letter: Four new members join 'splash pad headquarters'
- 9 Career mentor's 100k charity run aims to raise £1,000
- 10 Ziggy is missing from Ely - your help is needed